Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Henna

When I came to class last Wednesday, I planned to follow the blueprint I made which consisted of a single flower (about the size of a quarter) whose petals were made up of words. I wanted something kind of small. However, when saw all of the amazing designs in the books, I changed my mind and decided to do something different. On my left hand, I started to draw a flower, then a stem, then leaves. On my wrist I wrote, "thoughts, sounds, words, voice, change." Pretty soon I found that I couldn't stop and kept adding to the drawing by extending the stems and making more flowers and leaves. After I was satisfied with my left hand, the henna artist drew another flower on the back of my right hand with my pencil piece as the center. I was addicted to henna.

For me, I think the hardest part about the henna was fighting the temptation of pealing away the henna before the four hours were up. When I finally took the henna off, the drawings were orange. As time went on, the henna drawings on the back of my hands turned a brown color and the picture on the palm of my hand stayed orange.

Comments
"That's beautiful. Did you do that yourself?"
"Henna..."
"What's that?"
"You got henna! That's awesome. I want to do henna now."

No comments: