Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Body Maps - Everyone Has A Different Story

In many ways, we are all very similar. We are all humans with feelings and obstacles that we have to confront. However, each one of us is an individual and has had our own unique experiences and memories. Maybe this is part of the reason why each person has a different story for the same body part when making a body map. Since every individual has gone through a different series of life events, each person associates a different story and meaning to a certain body part. When I think of my hair, for example, I think of my birthday. I remember I was leaning over my ice cream birthday cake, getting ready to blow out the candles, when my hair almost catches on fire. However, when another person thinks of their hair, they might think of their mother braiding their hair tenderly. We are thinking of the same body part, hair, but the two memories are contrasting and have distinctive feelings and emotions. Each person has had and will have their own challenges and hardships to face as well as their own precious moments that are kept close to them. Both the good and the bad memories impact what we remember or think of when we map the body. We are all people with different stories to share. No two stories are ever exactly the same.

3 comments:

Renee said...

Carrie, What role does Memory play in what associations we have of our body parts? Is there a body part you associate memory with?

Renee

Traingirl said...

This is a great story about hair. Yes, so many others would have different stories about hair. Our bodies tell stories, inside and out. Good food for thought.

Ashley B. said...

I thought your blog was very cool, and it really got me thinking, and we know how hard that is ;D. haha
good job man.